Mobilize Brings Additional Machine Learning to Microsoft Connect(); with Visual Basic Upgrade Companion
by DeeDee Walsh, on Wed, Nov, 15, 2017 @ 04:11 AM
New version of Visual Basic Upgrade Companion (VBUC) Provides Onramp to DevOps on Microsoft Azure through AI-based Pattern Matching and Machine Learning
Bellevue, WA, November 15, 2017. Mobilize.Net announced Visual Basic Upgrade Companion version 8.0, available today during Microsoft Connect(); (#MSFTConnect). The new release offers big gains in developer productivity by enabling faster migrations, better code generation, and additional machine learning. With this upgrade, VBUC offers the best migration option for customers who need to move their important VB6 apps to a modern platform. Customers can try VBUC 8.0 at https://www.mobilize.net/vbuc-free-trial. In addition, Mobilize.Net will livestream Microsoft Connect(); at https://www.mobilize.net/microsoft-connect-livestream-2017.
“Old versions of Visual Basic are unable to support agile, fast development, but these apps are still performing critical roles in organizations,” said Tom Button, CEO of Mobilize.Net. “Mobilize.Net products provide an onramp to DevOps and Agile development helping customers to move to the latest technologies and methodologies.”
Shawn Nandi, Senior Director, Cloud App Development and Data and AI Product Marketing for Microsoft Corp. added, “Customers benefit from the Mobilize modernization tools which accelerate migrations from VB6 to advanced platforms like .NET and Microsoft Azure. We’re pleased to see Mobilize.Net’s commitment to providing customers with innovative modernization products to address their legacy code bases.”
Version 8 includes significant enhancements in performance, code generation, and coverage, including:
- VBUC processes very large VB6 ( >2MLOC) solutions faster and more efficiently. Up to 10x speed-ups are possible.
- The memory model handles very large projects better and eliminates bottlenecking on projects larger than 2MLOC.
Better Code Generation
- Shared files bridge class makes the generated code more readable and accurate in the migrated app.
- Full support for drag 'n' drop behavior in VB6 controls.
- ByRef parameters can be passed by value instead of as references and create better, more readable code.
- MousePointer types are handled more efficiently by converting them to Cursor type classes.
- Nine new component libraries have been added to the existing mappings database.
- 15 libraries have been enhanced with hundreds of additional mappings.
- Better behavior for data access controls.
- Improvements in the reflection helper class.
Tested and Tested Some More
- VBUC has been tested on 24 million lines of VB6 code since March 2017. Such a huge test suite provides improvements in code quality in terms of reducing post-migration compiler errors to deal with, as well as benchmarks for a variety of project types.
VBUC Paves the Way to DevOps
VBUC provides the best onramp to DevOps, enabling customers to move from desktops to distributed systems.
VBUC Is Used By Enterprises, ISVs and SIs*
Hundreds of thousands of customers have successfully used VBUC to convert code to .NET and beyond. All vertical markets are represented including healthcare, manufacturing, banking, energy and more; plus major corporations like Bank of America, Citigroup and Microsoft have used VBUC to transform large workloads to new platforms. In addition, system integrators like Avanade, Wipro GYSSA and others have found VBUC to be a very valuable tool in migrating their customers’ code to new platforms. A full list of Mobilize customers can be found at http://www.mobilize.net/resources/customer-list.
*Contact Mobilize.Net to talk with real customers.
Mobilize.Net accelerates and simplifies the transformation of software applications to .NET, web, mobile, and cloud platforms. Millions of developers have used Mobilize.Net technology to successfully modernize billions of lines of code. Mobilize.Net solutions enable customers to reduce risk, cost, and time while moving applications to the platforms businesses demand today. Mobilize.Net migration technology is Microsoft's chosen solution for Visual Studio and MSDN customers. The privately-held Mobilize.Net is based in Bellevue, WA, and is led by former Microsoft Corporate Vice President, Tom Button. For more information, please go to http://www.mobilize.net.