- Tables and views (DDL and DML) are migrated to Snowflake SQL
- BTEQ and extensions on bteq (such as Fastload, Multiload, TPT, Tpump, and others) are converted to functionally equivalent Python scripts
To learn more about SnowConvert, you can visit our webpage on SnowConvert or fill out the form above to get started with the tool.
Migration Plus Assessment
The first step in any successful migration plan is getting a plan in place. But the next step would be to get an assessment of the current platform. While SnowConvert for Teradata automates the code migration, it's also a code understanding tool. SnowConvert builds an Abstract Syntax Tree and a complete Symbol Table when you point it at any source codebase to perform the conversion. Out of those artifacts, we can provide you a level of detail on the code that is present that you can only get with Mobilize.Net. The following video will walk you through the reporting done by the SnowConvert for Teradata Assessment:
Here's a quick look at the kind of assessment information that can be provided with Mobilize.Net:
- Complete Assessment Report: This report gives you a summary of the objects (tables, views, procedures, functions, macros, and other elements) found in your code, an estimate of the level of conversion you can expect for that code, and a summary of the estimated issues, warnings, and errors identified by the conversion process. This summary gives you a view into the level of work remaining to complete a migration after the automated code conversion.
- Top Level Object Inventory: You'll get a complete list of every object (tables, views, procedures, functions, macros, and other elements) found in your code. You'll also see how many lines of code are contained in each object, and the estimated conversion percentage for that object.
- Errors, Warnings, and Issues Inventory: No migration can be 100% automated. There are always corner cases. Luckily for you, our assessment tool will report all of the pieces of code that likely could not be converted. The tool will give you a description on why it could not be converted, a severity level for each error, and the exact location in the source code of the code segment that could not be converted.
- Query Inventory: Not only are you going to get the above mentioned object inventory, but a list of every top-level query that exists in this codebase. SnowConvert converts all of your DDL, but it also converts and DML and queries you may have. This inventory helps you track common queries run, and can be used to assess the level of conversion you can expect for some of the workloads and processes being run in warehouse.
- Dependencies and Lineage Report: There are a lot of tools out there that claim to provide lineage information, and most of them can... for tables and views. Some even claim to provide cross-platform lineage to some extent. Most of these tools deliver some piece of the puzzle, but cannot provide the kind of complete lineage information that is required when performing a migration. At Mobilize.Net, we've been performing migrations for a quarter century. Our proven dependency analysis is based on references made in your source code and does not rely on metadata from the source platform. As SnowConvert automates the code conversion, it creates the dependency graph necessary to preserve dependencies in the new platform. This is exposed as a report in the assessment output.
This assessment is specifically designed to give you all the information you need to understand the migration ahead of you, as well as a sense of how much can be automatically converted using SnowConvert for Teradata. You will get an inventory of any objects present in your code and a summary that helps you understand how much work remains to complete your migration.
Once you fill out the form above, you will receive an email from Mobilize.Net Studio with information on how to get started using Mobilize.Net SnowConvert for Teradata. The email will also contain more instructions on how to use the tool, but you can always learn more about installation and setup as well as some valuable troubleshooting tips on our documentation page.
Types of migrations from Teradata
- DDL/DML (*.sql):
Teradata SQL statements converted to Snowflake SQL
- Stored Procedures (*.sql):
- BTEQ (*.bteq):
Converted to Python that executes Snowflake SQL
- Additional Proprietary Scripts: such as Fastload (*.fl, *.fload),
Multiload (*.ml, *.mload), and Tpump (*.tpump) converted to Python.
Other SnowConvert Source Platforms
Learn more about the source data platforms that are supported with SnowConvert.